Ten Steps of the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative
1. Have a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely communicated to all health care
2. Train all health care staff in the skills necessary to implement this policy.
3. Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
4. Help mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth.
5. Show mothers how to breastfeed and how to maintain lactation, even if they are
separated from their infants.
6. Give infants no food or drink other than breast-milk, unless medically indicated.
7. Practice rooming in - allow mothers and infants to remain together 24 hours a day.
8. Encourage breastfeeding on demand.
9. Give no pacifiers or artificial nipples to breastfeeding infants.
10. Foster the establishment of breastfeeding support groups and refer mothers to them on
discharge from the hospital or birth center.
The Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI) recognizes hospitals and birthing centers as "Baby Friendly" when they demonstrate adherence to the ten steps.
Breast crawl - baby latches herself on video
To play - scroll down to "download" - right click & save to desktop. Open from desktop. 7min - good length for pt to watch while waiting.
The link above is clearly a promotion for breastfeeding, the advertising goal is clear. This is not true of all sites. Formula marketing is often disguised.
Beware of "FREE" Patient Education Materials.
Wellstart Lactation Management - Free Download
Krause, Erik Hans, b. 1899, artist Date Created/Published: [New York] : WPA Federal Art Projelt [sic], [between 1936 and 1938]. Library of Congress, LC-USZC2-5325.
This page created 8/5/09, updated 1/2/2014.